FALL JAZZ AGE LAWN PARTY ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2009
(Rain date: Sunday, Oct. 4th)
11:00 AM to 6:00 PM
This year marks the 3rd year in a row that 1920’s-clad picnickers will spread blankets under the shade trees among the historic buildings of Governor’s Island for two solid afternoons of hot jazz starring Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra. On Saturday June 7th and Sunday June 8th from 11:30 am-6:30 pm both days, join in on the Gatsby-esque revelry. Activities include: Charleston and Peabody dance lessons, croquet games sponsored by the New York Croquet Club, tug of war games, a pie contest (Saturday only), 1920’s motorcars on exhibit, a Bathing Beauties and Gents Vintage Swimsuit Parade (Sunday only), and couture milliners pedaling their chic chapeaux.
Ferries to Governors Island are free and do not require tickets. Ferries leaving from Manhattan leave from the Battery Maritime Building at 10 South Street. Ferries leaving from Brooklyn leave from Fulton Ferry Landing, at the end of Old Fulton Street. For directions please visit www.govisland.com.
A wide array of music, food & drink, activities, games and contests are open for all ages to enjoy:
– A delightful variety of refreshing cocktails will be served by St. Germain.
– Picnickers are welcomed and encouraged.
– Tasty sandwiches and BBQ provided by Cercle Rouge.
– Authentic ’78 records from the 1920s played on a phonograph provided by Michael Cumella of WFMU’s Antique Phonograph Music Program.
– Charleston lessons given by dance legend Roddy Caravella of Sandra Cameron Dance Studio.
– 1920s Motorcar Exhibition – take a spin around the island in a genuine rumbleseat; hold on to your hat!
– Vintage clothing dealers and boutique milliners – They will all be peddling wares, so be sure to tuck some cash into your garter.
– Special literature/ephemera booths and readings by the Dorothy Parker Society & F. Scott Fitzgerald Society.
– Bathing Beauties & Beaus Promenade
– Live dance performances
– Vintage portraits by R.A. Friedman.
– Tug O’ War
– Parade Of Hats
– Bake Sale!
– Pie Recipe Contest – Categories: “Mom’s Best,” “Best Savory,” “Most Deliciously Unusual,” and “Hobo’s Choice”. Special Prizes and coveted gift certificates to be awarded.
Boo. I am not going to be in New York this weekend, but Kevin will be!! Nevertheless, you should go if you’re in the area, have fun, take pictures, post them on Facebook or Flicker, send me or Sharon Davis a link, and then we’ll post them on Swingfashionista. Think about it!!! Tony and Voon, have fun and send me pictures!!!