RSS Feed

Travel Days

June 3, 2010 by Jo

What an impressive set of Travel Days I have had in the last two and a half weeks!

Here’s the run down on what it takes to be me (*tooting my horn):

May 17, Monday: 9:25am flight from Berlin to JFK. Arrive into Pittsburgh at 6:30pm.
Finally coming home from Europe! Can’t freaking wait! I’m basically coming home so I can rehearse for Camp Jitterbug and do some laundry.

May 20, Thursday: 7:00pm flight from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis. Arrive into Seattle at 11:30pm.
The idea was that I’d have time to spend with my family. Instead, I run errands for the next few days all over town.

May 24, Monday: 2:30pm flight to Orange County. Arrive 5:30pm.
Man, I love direct flights! They rarely seem to happen. It’s also fun to run into people I know, like Ben Morris. I want to rehearse with The Atomic Cherry Bombs before our performance on Friday night. Nikki was kind enough to let me work with the girls for about 2.5 hrs. We do a full dress rehearsal. I try to scare and motivate the girls :-D

May 25, Tuesday: 12:00pm flight to Seattle. Arrive 2:45pm.
Direct flights are fabulous! I rehearsed again before I left for Seattle. I continue to run errands until the day of the show.

May 28, Friday: JUMP SESSION SHOW 7:30pm
ROCKED IT. I was so very, very pleased with my ladies and myself. Sharon’s Bell Boy Routine went well and so did Stratosphere.

June 1, Tuesday: 5:00pm flight to Los Angeles. 10:30pm flight to Sydney, Australia.

June 3, Thursday: 6:30am arrival into Sydney. 9:15am flight to Perth. Arrive at 11:25am.
It’s glorious in Perth at the moment. Oh how I’ve missed the sun shining. I have class to teach from 8-10pm that night.

And there you have it. A rather crazy 2 weeks, wouldn’t you say?

What have I gleaned from my last two weeks?

• It’s important to get your frequent flyer miles.
  • With those miles you don’t have to worry as much about over-weight luggage.
  • It’s important to pack layers.
  • Just because it’s “Spring” on the calendar doesn’t mean Mother Nature is going to play along.
  • Having gloves on you is never a bad thing.
  • “Days Off” are really just days to do all the chores I wasn’t able to do previously (translations: not really days off)
  • I must remember to schedule “Lazy Days” where I am just sitting around doing nothing. My scheduled “Days Off” aren’t working out the way I had hoped.
  • If you’re planning on performing something with a group of people, it’s worth the money, time, and effort for YOU to travel and go see them. It would have been a terrible idea to have not seen the Cherry Bombs before the show.
  • Never underestimate the power of a cupcake, especially when your best friend brings you one “just because.”
  • It’s important to run things full out. This means costume and body movement. Doing that the hour before the show does not mean you are well prepared. Remember, your building muscle memory when you’re rehearsing, so make it count AND you’d want to know if your who-ha was going to be showing before you got on stage.
  • (Ladies) Every performer should own false eyelashes and glue, bobby pins that match their hair color, hand mirror and fabulously bright lipstick.
  • Be gracious and understanding. It goes a long way.
  • Keep pushing. You’ll get to rest eventually.
  • Claire Pedroza might be a Vintage Hair Genius. She did my hair for CJ and it was in great shape until I left for Oz. Tons of compliments. She rocks.
  • Empty flights are a godsend.
  • Getting to sleep horizontally is awesome.
  • Too many bobby pins set off security alarms.
  • Nick Williams travels more than I do.

And there you have it! Two more things I think it’s important for you to know: how to pack for 10 Days in a Carry-On and What Happens to you crap after you’ve left if on a plane. Great reads, so check them out :-D

`

5 Comments »

1. Monday says:

Wow… you must get A LOT of reading done… or sleep. (Seriously, I’m always in need of two things when I travel: (at least one) book and ipod.)

And agreed, sleeping horizontally is pretty awesome. Another thing I’ve learned (because even though I haven’t traveled extensively for swing, I grew up traveling because my brother competed nationally in sailing) is that if you have room, pack a back up plan. This usually means an outfit, but if you require special equipment and you have room for an extra, this can really pay off in a pinch.

Also, if you have a new outfit, give it a “test run” if possible before the trip so you don’t get there, try and it on and find out it has a functional problem.

And had no idea that bobby pins could set off a security alarm.

One other thing I’ve learned: if you have something that may (or may not) be a violation of the liquid law or whatever, if it’s relatively small, you can bury it at the bottom and wrap it up in multiple things and the chances of them catching you are significantly less. (I had to do this with a friend’s contact cleaner and we got through security.)

2. Daddyo says:

I just love this post . . . and loved seeing you.

3. Amelia says:

Traveling is crazy. My mom works for the airline, so I have done some extensive traveling in my day. Always take a carry on big enough to pack a change of clothes and a toothbrush–if your flight gets delayed or your luggage gets lost, you’ll still be able to change and brush yo teeth.

And of course Nick Williams travels more than you do…he’s Nick Williams. :P

4. Breanna says:

I’ve had bobby pins in my hair set off a security alarm at least three times, only once going to an event. It’s funny how the security guards usually laugh it off, like “What kind of silly person are you that thought putting a bunch of metal sticks in her hair before going through a metal detector would be a good idea?”

I’ve also learned the tricksy trick of concealed liquids/no-nos. I always travel with my toothbrush and toothpaste in my main bag, usually my laptop bag–full tube of toothpaste!–because I like to brush my teeth. By putting it in the right place or positioning my bag just so, I’ve only been caught and had to toss the toothpaste once! It’s amazing.

5. Fawne says: