I’m so grateful that it was warmer this year at Leaping Lindy than it was last year! I was able to run around in dresses and tights without issue. 😀
Here’s the scoop. I left LAX on Thursday, arrived in Zurich on Friday, met up with Skye and Kevin at the airport and trained out to Bern. The Hotel National was 3 minutes walk from the station and was just as cozy as I remember it. This year Kev and I stayed on the second floor and had a darling little room with a great big window. The sunlight that poured into our room was really lovely to have in the mornings. Yes, there were curtains, and yes, they were drawn, but they were rather thin. Ah…the point I was originally heading towards; even with a direct flight from LAX -ZUR, I spend a total of 21 hours in transit. My goodness is right!
Highlights of the weekend:
– Getting to see Kev after such a long break. It was great to get to reconnect with him after not seeing him for a month. We gabbed like girls! It was awesome.
– Goodie bags waiting for us on our bed. There were these cute little madeleine that were in the shape of bears!
– Classes were walking distance from the hotel.
– The evening dances were held at the Casino which had a stunning ballroom and a sparkly chandelier.
– The amazing staff – thanks for helping with the sound system, transportation, and all the other small details that make an event run so beautifully.
– Being able to sleep through dinner and not have it be an issue.
– Gordon Webster on Saturday night! Man, he and his band were jammin’. I had such a great time just listening! Naomi Uyama also sang with them and she was lovely, as always.
– Social dancing on Sunday. I was finally tired enough that I wasn’t anticipating and just let myself be moved. Every dance I had was outstanding. Skye, Peter, and Kevin: thanks for leading my ass around in that teeny tiny space and for keeping me safe from getting stepped on.
– Naomi djing from her iphone on Sunday night. The music was awesome solely because of her. Thank Naomi!!
– Peter Lerch for letting Kevin and I crash at his house on Monday night and getting us to the train Tuesday morning.
VIDEOS FROM THE WEEKEND:
There are other angles of these performances, but I really enjoyed watching the dances from this angle because I rarely see them from here.
What we taught:
Tricks & Lifts: climbing exercise. flying baby doll.
Turning: turn drills and moves that used the technique.
Advance Basics: leading and following rock steps, weight changes, pauses, and triple steps. We did this in open position and touched on it in closed position and built on the yo-yo.
Touch Me: a 7 part variation/technique class. The moves built on one another and progressively got more complex. Each variation were similar enough to the last that the leaders had to have a clear idea what they were going to lead and the follows had to wait until the very end of the move for all the information. In other words, we used moves that looked the same at the beginning so that the follow couldn’t recognize the move because all of them were so similar.