A quick review of how EPIC 2013 was for me. In chronological order, I present to you:
1. Attending my first Viennese Ball at the Philharmonic in Vienna, Austria.
I wore a vintage 1930s gown, my Remix shoes, and a feather fascinator from Etsy. What a gorgeous facility! Kevin and I waltzed a few times and stayed awake until the wee hours of the morning. De.lightful!!
2. The best birthday party EVER!!
The theme: Thrift Store. Instead of getting presents, I asked everyone to bring $29, come down to the thrift store with me and the gang, and buy clothes for someone else. After that, it was fashion show time. And beer. 😀
3. My younger brother got married
4. Dancing on the Great Wall of China
5. Outrageously good time at The Mooche in Cork, Ireland. Thanks Daragh!!
Kevin and I stayed in a fabulous B&B, ate a proper “British Breakfast”, hung out with some fabulous misfits, taught some super fun classes, and hung out with One Horse Pony – some fabulous local musicians.
6. Choreographing for Swing X with Dax Hock & Sarah Breck.
Traveling in Style
“You see Dax, I want you to feeeeel like you’re in love. Take her like ‘dis…hold her like ‘dis…..”
Talking through the next set of shots
Not only did Kevin and I get to choreograph and advise on our first full-length film, but we also got to visit Middle America. Whoa.
7. Attending the Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governors Island and getting into the Fashion section of the NY Times
I’ll see if I can find a bigger picture of it, but I’m on the far left, second row up from the bottom. Kevin and I also took 1st & 2nd place in the Charleston Contest.
8. Taking Second Place with Mikey Pedroza at ILHC in the Slow Division.
9. Being inducted to the California Swing Dance Hall of Fame – as a Rising Star and as a Couple (thanks Kev!!)
Photo by Steve Hwan
Rising Star – The Rising Star is a Champion that has been around from ten to twenty years. It strives to make its place in the Swing Dance Heavens through its ongoing participation within the Milky Way of Competition.
Couples – Couples stands out with special brilliance among other swing partnerships.
10. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – samba, Copacabana, Ipanema, and amazing people
11. Dancing my ass off at Lindy Shock in Budapest, Hungary.
Countless nights I was up until 5am dancing. Mostly I’d go home because I had work in the morning and my feet were on fire. Some of my most memorable dances from the weekend were with Dax Hock. Thanks man!
12. Performing the Jungle Book number with my new team at Lindy Focus: ‘Monkey’ Mikey, ‘Lioness’ Gaby, and ‘White Tiger’ Kevin.