Registration Opens: October 10, 2018
Dates of Program: November 6 – December 7, 2018.
Here’s what you need to know!
WHO: I think you’ll be interested in this program if you can learn from video, you’re interested in improving the quality of your movement, appreciate overarching concepts as well as technical details, and you’re interested in working with me, Jo Hoffberg.
WHAT: This is a 4-week Solo Jazz Training Course.
Every week, I will send out an email with your weekly challenge details, including the videos you’ll learn from and the song we’ll use for that week. You’ll practice the drills, ask me questions to clarify, and dance dance dance.
Depending on the accountability you want, you’ll film yourself training, and send in the video of your rehearsal that you want feedback on. Once the What Cha Know Jo (WCKJ) Crew get your videos, they’ll be stitch together and the compilation will be sent out to the group. From there, you’ll each be required to provide feedback to the other dancers, which will help you train your attention to detail (in the future, this will help you give yourself feedback). You will also give me an update on your practice sessions so we can help you improve your practice sessions in the future.
I will provide various types of feedback, depending on what level of accountability you’re interested in.
Here’s how we are going to maximize our time together in this program:
- Time in your schedule to practice in front of a mirror
- Place to train/film your challenges so your full body (arms and feet) can be seen
- Dropbox – to send a link so I can download the video(s)
- Weekly Reviews – you will be required to give feedback to each person in your group so they know what you liked and what they can improve upon
- Weekly Feedback – you will be required to give me feedback about the challenges.
- Complete 2 Surveys – An Entrance Survey so I can get to know you and an Exit Survey so I can get feedback on this program. Both you and your partner need to fill these out.
WHEN: November 6 – December 7, 2018
I will send you the challenge by Tuesday by 6pm GMT+2 (Berlin Time).
Submissions are due by Monday at 6pm GMT+2 (Berlin Time). You are welcome and encouraged to submit them earlier.
Feedback is due by Thursday at 6pm GMT+2 (Berlin Time). You are welcome and encouraged to do these earlier so that the other dancers may incorporate your feedback for their training sessions.
WHY: I want to work with dedicated students who understand that training and consistency are two of the keys to success. I want to see how you practice, know what you see when you watch yourself in training videos, train your eye so you can troubleshoot more easily, help you get “unstuck,” and provide accountability. I’m not interested in teaching you moves. I’m interested in teaching you how to teach yourself.
— 3 Ways You Can Participate —
LOW ACCOUNTABILITy – $35/€30
Learning on your own time! This program is ideal for Visual Learners who have a varied schedule and need more flexibility when it comes to scheduling training.
This program includes:
- Each week, you will receive two video challenges consisting of routines and drills that help you train your dancing. You’ll practice whenever is most convenient.
- Programs PDFs designed to enhance your experience and deepen your understanding. You will learn how to get the most out of the program, best practices for learning from videos, and more.
- 3 songs per week (slow, medium, fast) for you to practice
- A private facebook group to be in contact with others working through the program
MEDIUM ACCOUNTABILITY – $100/€85
Working with a group! This program is ideal for Visual Learners who want to receive feedback from multiple source, are comfortable (and willing) to breakdown videos, film themselves dancing, and honor a weekly schedule.
- This program includes:
- Everything listed above and…
- Setting Goals and creating a path to achieve them
- Access to a team where you will give & receive feedback
- 2 Videos Challenges for each of the 4 weeks
- Weekly private feedback via voice message on Whatsapp/Messenger
- Access to Music playlists created especially for this program
- A private facebook group to be in contact with others working through the program
So how does it work?
Every week, you will receive video material + pdfs to guide your training sessions and help maximize your learning. Each week, you will send in a video of your best practice sessions, give feedback to the other dancers, and give me feedback about your training for that week. The idea behind the program is to encourage regular practice sessions, accountability, growth, and camaraderie.
HIGH ACCOUNTABILITY – $500/€425
You want lots of feedback and are interested in how to train like a Pro! This program is ideal for Visual Learners who:
- Are ready for lots of accountability and will set aside minimum 3x/week to train;
- Want lots of feedback and one-on-one time
- Are comfortable (and willing) to learn from videos;
- Will film themselves dancing and spend time reviewing them;
- And will honor a weekly schedule
- Are interested in exploring what a mentorship program is like
Here’s what you’ll get if you join this program:
- Two-Four training videos per week
- Programs PDFs designed to enhance your experience and deepen your learning. You will learn how to get the most out of the program, best practices for learning from videos, and more.
- 4 private 60-minute sessions with me – a combination of video reviews, voice messages, and phone calls
- Access to playlists created especially for this program
- Access to the team program, if you would like to participate
- 3 month training plans designed specifically for you
- 6 months of access to iLindy, Kevin & Jo’s online learning platform where their main material is broken down in detail. You’ll learn better technique for your partner dancing and jazz steps, as well as get an insider’s view onto some of our favorite routines ($180 value).
Solo Jazz isn’t my thing because I’m a partner dancer. Why would I want to do this?
If you want to improve the quality of your movement, you need to spend time working on it. Yeah, I understand that it might be scary to dance without holding someone’s hand, but I’m positive you can do it, and I can show you how to train your solo movement in order to improve your partnering!
Are we going to learn figures?
Not really. We’re more so going to work on the quality of your movement through figures you probably already know, like kick steps and triple steps. But we’ll work on how to make ’em look goooooooood 😀 (Pssst……there will be LOTS of drills).
What if I don’t like watching myself on video?
I get it: watching yourself on video can be challenging, but really, it’s necessary if you’re planning on improving at a faster rate than your current progress. That being said, perhaps the Low Accountability Program is more your style then.
I don’t know what kind of feedback I can offer my team members. What happens if I have nothing to say?
Then dig deeper!! This is also part of the program. Not only are you working on your dancing, but you’re also training your eye on how to better understand what you’re watching AND put it into words. It’s critical to be able to identify what you do/don’t see and what hits/misses the mark. I don’t expect anyone to be perfect, but I do request that you try to put what you see into useful feedback.
Uh! Four weeks! That’s such a long time!
That’s not a question, but I think I hear ya. And no, actually, it’s not a long time. If you can only get 20 minutes in that day, that’s still a huge success. You can do this! If you were to phase out some of the time than you spend on FB or Youtube in any given week, you can totally rock this program. Ask any ballet dancer or serious musician how much they practice and you’ll probably get answer ranging from 3-6 hours every day. So make time!
I don’t have enough time in my schedule to do the challenge justice. Should I even bother?
Yes, you should totally bother. I’m not looking for perfection, I’m looking for you to understand how to improve. If you can only practice 5 minutes that day, then let’s see what you’re capable of producing in that time. All I request is that you bring your best every week. Make time to rehearse regularly; that’s what’s this challenge is all about.
MOTTO: Possibilities, not perfection.