Let’s be real: Strictly Competitions can be stressful (yes, even for me). Understanding how to train; familiarity with musical structure and some judging guidelines; general performance principles; and the how to read the floor can help you come to these competitions with more calm, focus, clarity, and joy.
A strictly competition is where consistent training really pays off. We will develop more consistent methods for you to feel confident about your performance with your partner–no matter what the outcome.
While you don’t need a specific partner for this program (you might train with multiple people or have a robust travel schedule), you will need to find a person or multiple people to dance with you for your social dance homework. This way, you can put ideas into practice and receive the greatest benefit of this course.
As an added bonus for this program: A free subscription to iLindy while we are training!
This program is recommend three months before a competition, or for anyone looking to build their competition and performance confidence (whether or not there is a competition deadline).
- Improved training sessions.
- Better understanding of musical structure so you can nail your spotlights.
- Know when and how to use flash to create a dynamic performance that fits the music.
- Have routines and practice chunks designed to create a calm and creative head space before you hit the competition floor.
- Learn how to show off your partner and create those “magic moments.”
- Have strategies for when you draw a blank.
- Learn how to train yourself when a coach isn’t available
- Improved communication with your partner.
- Learn how to deal with your nerves.
- Learn to create your own training schedule.
PROFILE: Individuals who have danced 2 – 5 years and want to break into competitions or improve their competition game, set and achieve their dance goals, train consistently, and build their confidence through mentorship.
Interested? Contact me and let’s get started!
Jo’s Competition Mentorship Programs
How do you practice for competition? What are judges looking for? What style and clarity can you bring to the dance floor? If you’re asking yourself these questions, you’re in the right place. In my own dance career, I had incredible mentors to support me as I entered the competition world and built my dance career. Through these programs, I aim to pass on the wisdom I’ve acquired to the next generation of dancers. Bring you’re best, and I guarantee I’ll do the same. Let’s get started!
The Importance of Mentors
I found my first mentor in Japan in 2003 – a singer and dedicated artist who was committed to creating a life doing what she loved. Without her, I wouldn’t have considered dance as anything more than a hobby and started taking dance more seriously. When I returned from the United States, I took dance classes every day and acted on every opportunity I had to teach, perform, and compete. I wasn’t certain about where it was all going or what the end game looked like, I just knew that if I kept dancing, something would happen.
As I was finishing up my university degree, I met Kevin (my current dance partner) in 2007 and his mentorship skyrocketed my dancing and my career. He saw potential in me, trained me, helped me better understand how to train myself, role modeled an alternative way of living, and supported me in becoming who I am today. This support–from a person that was a mentor, a partner, and a friend–helped me put my fear to the side and allowed me the courage to keep pushing forward in my career and personal growth.
How I can Help
I want to help the next generation find their unique voice, style, and contribution to our Lindy Hop Community as I believe this is the best way of keeping our dance alive. The idea behind this mentorship program is that you shouldn’t have to re-invent the wheel; instead learn from the “old guards” so that you can stand on the shoulders of giants.
Here are the Competition Programs to help you be your best self on the dance floor.
- 10-Week Strictly Program
- 10-Week M&M Program
- 9-Week Solo Dance Program
- 4-Week Online Strictly Challenge (has a specific start date)
Not looking to compete, but are interested in training online with me? I am available for Online Lessons! You’ll send me a video of your dancing and I’ll send you feedback about what I see and suggestions on how to fix it. This is a good option for you if you:
- Want to improve your movement
- Want to prepare for a level audition
- Have hit a plateau and need some guidance
- Have a team performance and want another pair of eyes to give you feedback
- Can’t travel to the event I’m at, but really want a private
- Are working through iLindy and want to know if you’re on the right path