I think this is my favorite version of this routine captured on film. Juan & Sharon nailed their solo and I really enjoyed what we all did in the background. Tommy & Alice were studs, as always, and skated their hearts out! I was SUPER happy with mine and Kevin’s solo and couldn’t have hoped for better energy from the crowd. Maaaaaan, the crowd was fantastic! I LOVE you Korea!!
And small note, tooting my own horn. Check out my jazz! I’m am really happy with my movement and how I complete my lines throughout the routine. Yeah, I miss some stuff, and go all fa-fa-fa-funky on the Tango, but otherwise, I have great lines. There, I said it. 😀
Originally, this was going to be the finale of the show and only the Killer Dillers were going to perform it, but there was a last minute decision made to add on Tommy & Alice, William & Maeva, and Shesha & Nikki. I’m really glad we did it with everyone because I think i was a ton of fun, even though rehearsals were….slow going 🙂 That being said, I love that all the girls are in some version of red, Kevin had the BEST floor slide anyone could have hoped for, and I was happy with how Kevin and I did our solo. We miss connection near the end of the routine (perhaps you can’t even see it) and so do William and Maeva, but it doesn’t really matter because we still ended the routine gloriously!
We spent a little bit of time deciding on whether we do two solos each or Juan & Sharon do two and Kevin & I do one and ended up having J&S do two. They really wanted to do their new aerial “The Dutch Cupcake” so they used the third solo to showcase it. Personally I’m not thrilled with how Kevin and my solo went, for various reasons, but otherwise I think the performance went fine.
What do you think? Which is your favorite version?
What an amazing show this turned out to be! Even though this was thrown together, it couldn’t have worked out any better. The best part: the audience.
You might not know this, but those fans are significantly heavier than they look and Shaz makes them look effortless. I’ve seen this number a few times and it just gets better and better. Not only does she worked the crowd, but she did a great job of keeping her straps from falling off!
How amazing was that?! It was even better live, if you can believe it. I love Alice’s knee socks, I love the swing outs, I love the rhythms and syncopation, I love their dynamic together, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the audience watch this dance.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t want to perform after seeing Tommy & Alice do their thing; how could we top that? As Kevin and I stood in our “ready position”, I could feel the energy of the crowd. When the music began, the audience got louder, and every time I swished my skirt, the audience cheered! This has made the list of Favorite Performance Moments for myself, and it was all because of the crowd. I’ve danced the routine better before, but the roar of the crowd was sensational!
G-dang it! They are bloody fantastic. I find their movement to be super-inspiring and their shapes and lines make me want to wiggle (that’s a good thing)! Well done you two; you totally earned your stripes! It was a pleasure to perform along along side of you.
Sharon choreographed this piece for Rock That Swing (which I’m dying to see but hasn’t been posted yet) and I think it’s a fab little piece. We all were super-sucking in rehearsal, but managed to pull it together for the show. Yeah us!!
The Camp Swing It team put on another amazing event and threw the first Korean Lindy Hop Championships! I have to say, the attendees of CSI threw down this weekend and I’m so proud of everyone who competed!!
Here are videos from the weekend from the Couples Division, which include Showcase and Classic pieces. There were lots of cute routines, great musicality, fun costumes, and a bouquet of flowers. Yeahh!!!!
3st Couples Contest – Sunbum Moon & Chloe Hong
1st Couples Contest – Soochan Lee & Hyun Jung Choi
2st Couples Contest – JeongWoo Hong & Crystal Lee
During the last few classes Kevin and I taught, we requested that everyone post videos of the competitions so that the world could see how great the weekend was AND to label them with names of the contestants. I can’t wait to see more videos!!
Congratulations to all the contestants!! You did a fantastic job and it was a pleasure to watch you dance. XOXO
You might be noticing that I am posting pictures and videos from event that happened over a month ago. Well, you see, I’ve been slacking, so now I am trying to catch up. So here are some favorite moments that were captured! Ooh, and make sure you get to the bottom of this post…that’s where some fun facts are!!
And here are some of the performances from that weekend. Hot Club Stomp from Orange County and The Killer Dillers from all over put on a 30 minute show. Here you go!
The Killer Dillers – “Harlem”
OOOooooh, someone forgot to take off her leg warmers!!
Hot Club Stomp – ” Keep On Jumpin’ ”
Juan and Sharon
Laura and Jeremy
Mikey and Nikki
Juan and Kevin
Sharon and Jo
Hot Club Stomp – “Shake That Thing”
Tip and Tops Debut their new Hat Tricks Routine in Korea:
Al & Leon Shim Sham in Fat suits:
B-boy Battle – The teachers vs. B.Boy
Some fun facts from my trip:
1. I am under the impression that Seoul has the biggest swing dance scene in the world.
2. There are 15 swing bars in Seoul – that’s 15 dance venues, devoted ENTIRELY to swing dancing, 7 days a week!
3. Food in Korea is awesome!! They have some awesome red paste that goes on everything and is spicy-goodness. Unfortunately I don’t remember what it’s called, but it starts with a “g”.
4. Heated floors are fabulous!!!! Except when you have mochi in your bag. Be careful not to let your goodies get cooked because then you’ll have to throw them out. Boo.
5. Kimchi is yummy. Rumor has it that Kimchi is the reason why the Koreans never got SARS or bird flu. If you fly to Korea on Korean Air, there is a special on Kimchi….watch it!
6. The Jack & Jill at Camp Swing It involved taking a shot of Soju (which is a Korean distilled rice wine, vaguely similar to Japanese Sake) before and after each partner rotation. To prove you had finished the shot, you had to turn the glass upside down on your head (NOTE: that’s why Kevin is doing that in the pictures above). When dancers were refusing to drop out, the challenge increased to half a bottle per partner rotation! DANG!
7. Korean dancers are freaking awesome. They can copy almost anything, so if you’re planning on teaching there, don’t demo something “wrong” too often otherwise someone might think that’s what you want them to do. Set good examples.
8. I loved our translators. Some of them translated word for word, some listened and nodded (but forgot to translate), and some told the class their interpretation of what we meant. Haha, there’s nothing like saying 5 words and having the translator speak for 2 minutes.
9. So many people were dressed well. OMG, if I can find pictures I’ll post them. Cute tap short, amazing shiny suits (seriously pimp and not tacky), blue shirts with ruffles and bow ties….these kids can make everything look good!
10. There was a costume room full of kimonos and sumo suits, wigs and giant fans in the place we filmed the Camp DVD. Interviews were thus conducted in costume, with props. Kevin, Shesha and I performed the Al & Leon Shim Sham for the camera while wearing sumo suits. SEE ABOVE.
11. Camp Swing It was the first official collaboration of The Killer Dillers with fab Los Angeles’ group, Hot Club Stomp. That’s Laura Keat, Jeremy Otth, Mikey Pedroza, Nikki Marvin & Shesha Marvin. Awesome dancers, brilliant performers, real professionals. They were so lovely to work with. Here’s to many more…
12. All the instructors were challenged to a battle by a single Korean B-boy. We were beaten. Badly. SEE ABOVE.
13. We stayed in some awesome places while we were there. I wish I had taken pictures of them for you all to see. Oh yeah, make sure you watch some TV while you’re in your room because there is some funny fucking stuff on cable!
14. There was a very, very charming marriage proposal. Thank goodness she said yes, otherwise that would have been very embarrassing! The guy sang to her in front of everyone while reading the lyrics off his iPhone!
Thanks Kang Seok for making this all possible!!! xoxo